Re: [ANCP] Unicast/Multicast BW Admission Control

Tina TSOU <tena@huawei.com> Thu, 17 January 2008 09:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:59:53 +0900
From: Tina TSOU <tena@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [ANCP] Unicast/Multicast BW Admission Control
To: Stefaan DE CNODDER <stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel-lucent.be>, Toerless Eckert <eckert@cisco.com>
Cc: ancp@ietf.org, OOGHE Sven <Sven.Ooghe@alcatel-lucent.be>

Hi All,
There are scenarios where AN is capable of doing unicast and
multicast Admission Control for the access line. In these cases, a
subscriber request for a unicast flow (e.g. a Video on Demand session)
will trigger a resource request message towards a Policy Server; the
latter will then query the AN, that in turn will perform unicast CAC for
the access line and respond, indicating whether the unicast request is
to be honored or denied.
Current ANCP framework draft already mentions the described scenario
proposing two possible approaches:
1. Policy Server querying the AN directly (the approach doesn't require
the use of ANCP.  It is therefore beyond the scope of this document)
2. Policy Server querying the AN indirectly via the NAS.

The second approach requires a control messages exchange between NAS and
AN thus it could fit in the ANCP framework. For the purpose of
flexibility and completeness we believe it would be worth to include
this use case and the related requirements in the current ANCP framework
draft.

Please see the text proposal for the described use case and requirements
below.
Feedback and comments are welcome.

Thanks and best regards,
Tina and Roberta

Section 3.4.2
Current text:
"Another approach is the reverse: it consists of the Policy Server
      querying the AN (either directly, or indirectly via the NAS) so
      that both unicast and multicast CAC for the access line are
      performed by the AN.  In this case, a subscriber request for a
      unicast flow (e.g. a Video on Demand session) will trigger a
      resource request message towards a Policy Server; the latter will
      then query the AN, that in turn will perform unicast CAC for the
      access line and respond, indicating whether the unicast request is
      to be honored or denied.  In case the Policy Server queries the AN
      directly, the approach doesn't require the use of ANCP.  It is
      therefore beyond the scope of this document."

Adding:

"In case the Policy Server queries the AN indirectly via the NAS this
interaction can be handled as an ANCP transaction, in particular the
Policy Server queries the NAS using a protocol that is out of scope of
this document, then the NAS uses ANCP to query the AN specifying the
Access-Loop-Circuit-ID and the required Bandwidth for the requested
unicast flow. The AN on receiving the query from the NAS performs the
Admission Control check and in turn responds indicating if this unicast
VoD request needs to be accepted or denied.

Protocol Requirements
Section 4.2
The ANCP MUST allow the NAS to query the AN to request an admission
decision for a unicast flow that will contend the bandwidth with the
multicast streams for a particular Access Port.

AN Requirements
Section 4.7.6
Upon receiving a query from the NAS for a unicast flow (e.g. a Video on
Demand session) request contending the bandwidth with the multicast
streams for a particular Access Port, the AN MUST support using ANCP to
reply to the NAS indicating whether the request is to be accepted or
denied.

NAS Requirements
Section 4.8.6
Upon receiving a request for a unicast flow (e.g. a Video on Demand
session) for a specific Access Port,  from the Policy Server, the NAS
MUST support using ANCP to query the AN to receive a response indicating
whether this unicast flow is to be accepted  or denied.