Re: [Ecrit] LoST IPR disclosure details

Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us> Wed, 15 August 2007 19:45 UTC

From: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] LoST IPR disclosure details
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:45:05 -0400
To: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc: ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>

On Aug 15, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> It is interesting to note that the patent application was filed
> July 31, 2006. Inventors are James Polk and Cullen Jennings.

While I'd like to send another colorful message to this list today,
I'm afraid this type of "interesting" is not all that comical. I
detest IPR issues.

I believe it is a good thing that Cisco is providing this IPR under a
fair, defensive license.  They are forced to play this silly game
because of the nature of the law.  Still, we'd all be better off if
there were no IPR coverage.  And given the timing of the application,
perhaps some of the claims can be busted leaving some of the others
in the "obvious" category.

I am a bit nonplussed with the inventors/participants, as the timing
of the disclosure doesn't appear to meet the spirit of Section 6.2 of
RFC 3979, possibly opening us up to the ramifications of Section 7
(whatever those may be).

All that being said, the best thing to do is continue as planned.  I
guess we'll know in 2 months if this will cause a derailment.

-andy