Re: [Enum] draft-ietf-enum-uri-00.txt

Otmar Lendl <lendl@nic.at> Fri, 06 October 2006 14:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:21:40 +0200
From: Otmar Lendl <lendl@nic.at>
To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Enum] draft-ietf-enum-uri-00.txt
Cc: IETF ENUM WG <enum@ietf.org>

[There seems to be a problem with enum@ietf.org, an earlier mail
from me didn't make it back to my mailbox.]

On 2006/09/28 11:09, Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com> wrote:
> This document was requested to be published the other day, but
> publication seems to take some time.

Thanks for the document, here are some question:

>    1.
> Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
>    2.  Applicability
> Statement  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3

The formatting is a bit off (not only here, but also in the
rfc-editor repository), could you please submit a version
without unwanted line-breaks, and with page breaks?

Concerning this example:

> 6.2.  Different providers for services for the same E.164
>
>    An organisation have the E.164 +442079460148, but different
>    organisations handle routing of calls for the number on the Internet
>    (with the help of SIP) and traditional PSTN.  More specifically, the
>    two providers want to run DNS for the record(s) that refer to the
>    services they provide.

I think I understand the pure DNS mechanics you propose.

What I can't see right now is how this proposal fits into the
Tier0/Tier1/ITSP/end-user scheme of actors. Where are the
zone cuts and who is operating which zone?

>    The ENUM provider for the +44 country code in this case not only do
>    delegations on the full E.164 number, but delegations on the service
>    parameter values, as can be seen below:
>
>    In this example we also include the NAPTR records that with the help
>    of the 'D' flag refer to the URI records.  We also include NAPTR
>    records according to RFC 3761 [RFC3761] that give backward
>    compatibility.
>
>    In zone 8.4.1.0.6.4.9.7.0.2.4.4.e164.arpa.:

Who do you propose should run that zone?

>    $ORIGIN 8.4.1.0.6.4.9.7.0.2.4.4.e164.arpa.
>
>    ;; NAPTR records that refer to URI records
>      IN NAPTR 1 1 "D" "E2U:sip"               ( ; service
>                       ""                        ; regexp
>                       _sip._e2u                 ; replacement
>                                               )
>
>      IN NAPTR 1 1 "D" "E2U:tel"               ( ;service
>                       ""                        ;regexp
>                       _tel._e2u                 ;replacement
>                                               )

This record is *important* to the telco running the phone
service for this number. They won't want to live with the
possibility that users can mess up the telco internal routing.

>    ;; NAPTR records for RFC 3761 compatibility
>      IN NAPTR 1 1 "U" "E2U:sip"               ( ;service
>      "!.*!sip:+442079460148@sipprovider.net!"   ; regexp
>      .                                          ; replacement
>                                               )

In the current model, this record is supposed to be hosted
on a user-controlled server.

This puts us into a bind:

>      IN NAPTR 1 1 "U" "E2U:tel"               ( ;service
>      "!.*!sip:+442079460148@sipprovider.net!"   ; regexp
>      .                                          ; replacement
>                                               )
>
>    ;; Delegations to child zones
>    _sip._e2u IN NS    ns1.example.net.
>    _tel._e2u IN NS    ns1.example.com.

Once again, the I-ENUM records are dependent on the management of
the pure ENUM zone 8.4.1.0.6.4.9.7.0.2.4.4.e164.arpa.

>    In zone _sip._e2u.8.4.1.0.6.4.9.7.0.2.4.4.e164.arpa:
>

>    $ORIGIN 8.4.1.0.6.4.9.7.0.2.4.4.e164.arpa.
>    _sip._e2u IN URI "sip:+442079460148@example.net"

Shouldn't that be

$ORIGIN _sip._e2u.8.4.1.0.6.4.9.7.0.2.4.4.e164.arpa.
@ IN URI "sip:+442079460148@example.net"

to indicate where the zone-cut is?

ITSPs. That way, the DNS infrastructure of one application can be kept
independent from the one of another application.

The problem is the legacy 3761 support: For all the delegated domains
out there, it is not acceptable for the carriers to go to their
subscribers and asks them for a delegation of _tel._e2u.  That ain't
going to fly. In order to make the transition, current ENUM users need
to provision their existing NAPTRs into the registry.  That's going to
be a headache for everybody who managed to get a 3761-based system up
and running.

-----------------------------

The showstopper:

And then there is the issue of open numbering plans. I can't see how this
scheme is supposed to work in a country where PBX operators are free to
define their own variable-length dialplan behind their pilot number.

Consider the example of enum.at's Vienna office:

Our pilot number is +43 1 5056416. That's a normal (i.e. not shortened) Vienna
number. We use 2-digit extension, e.g. -33 is my phone. A common scheme
is to use prefixes for FAX to Email services. In our case -933 is
supposed to deliver an incoming FAX to my mailbox. Our carrier (Telekom
Austria) doesn't know or even care about these arrangements.

In ENUM terms, right now we have a delegation for
6.1.4.5.0.5.1.3.4.e164.arpa and simply add new extensions to our zone
file and be done with it.

In I-ENUM, Telekom Austria (were they to take part in our trial) would
use wildcards to direct calls to their ingress point, e.g. by

6.1.4.5.0.5.1.3.4.e164.arpa  NAPTR ... "!(.*)!\\1@sip.telekom.at!
*.6.1.4.5.0.5.1.3.4.e164.arpa  NAPTR ... "!(.*)!\\1@sip.telekom.at!

Which records should Telekom Austria provision under your scheme?

/ol
--
< Otmar Lendl (lendl@nic.at) | nic.at Systems Engineer >