Re: spam

Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com> Wed, 28 May 2003 02:18 UTC

To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: spam
From: Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 01:12:30 +0000
Sender: owner-ietf@ietf.org

michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us ("Michel Py") writes:

> > we (the e-mail producing/consuming community) have the technology, we
> > have the collective wit and wisdom, we have the proven commercial value
> > of the service.  what we lack, dear ietf, is simply: leadership.
>
> Given what you wrote just above (which I agree with), what is your
> assessment that a system such as what you have in mind would successfully
> reach IETF consensus?

one developed outside ietf.  like html and http, for examples which could
never have been done amongst the self-selected rabble and trolls who manage
to consistently keep ietf's discussions focused on weeds and corners, but
which the ietf had no choice but to "embrace and extend" once they were
clearly defacto standards.  (this is what we SHOULD have done, and may yet
HAVE to do, with dnssec.)

but i digress.  MIME worked.  EDNS worked.  IPv6, warts and all, worked.
ESMTP was ugly and bloody, but it worked.  there's no reason in principle
why the MIME and ESMTP examples can't be replayed toward a secure "ibcs".

> The reason I agree with Noel along the lines that the only way is making
> spammers pay for sending email is not because I don't think that we don't
> have what it takes to invent a protocol, but because I think it will be
> torpedoed before it is born.

well, it's hard to commit acts of leadership inside a burning movie theatre.
(pass me another marshmellow, will you?)
--
Paul Vixie