Re: How IETF treats contributors

Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> Mon, 30 August 2004 21:21 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:43:57 -0400
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
To: Hadmut Danisch <hadmut@danisch.de>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: How IETF treats contributors
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Hadmut,

To be clear, I was among thouse who noted the deficiencies in RMX, and
note practically the same deficiencies in SPF, with the added "feature"
that it allows 2 large ISPs to conspire together to prevent unbundling of
their email and connectivity services in violation of US and European
anti-trust laws.

That said, it is a reprehensible shame that you are not being given credit
for your work in SPF and RMX. It was an original idea, and was clear the
result of a lot of work and a lot of thought.  That it did not obtain its
goals is unfortunate, but many unsuccessful ideas reveal truths that
become the foundations for more successful ideas.  Each wrong turn and
dead-end investigated, even if disappointing, ultimately brings society
progress, and that is good.

It is unfortunate that as a society, we do not find someway to reward the
wrong turns and investigators of dead-ends.  We typically only reward the
successful results, and ignore the huge amount of unsuccessful work it
took to obtain it.  But the least we can to is to __acknowledge__ the work
that was done, and thank those who did it.

In my opinion, it is completely inappropriate that the IETF, an
intellectual, professional organization, does not give credit were credit
is due.  The "glop" you heard from the chairs about copyright infringement
is just glop, in my opinion**.  Credit and attribution is about
__intellectual__honesty__, not about copyright law.

Failure to give credit is intellectually dishonest.  But I suspect there
are other reasons for not wanting to associate with RMX.  We demonstrated
that RMX did not solve the problem it set out to solve. No doubt, the
MARID group chairs do not want to appear to simply re-hash RMX under a
different name. In order to avoid that, they have to pretend it wasn't
written by you.

Dean Anderson
Av8 Internet, Inc

** Judging by book infringement cases in which trivial changes to general
plotline and story events still infringe, they may wrong about the
copyright infringement as well.  You will also have to pay attention to
the copyright agreements and terms that govern your submissions. I suspect
that draft authors may not actually own the copyright to the drafts they
submit. See RFC 3667 and 3668.  But you will need to consult an attorney
versed in US Copyright Law, if you want to go that route.