RE: [dean@av8.com: Mismanagement of the DNSOP list]

"Nick Staff" <nick.staff@comcast.net> Mon, 26 September 2005 14:31 UTC

From: Nick Staff <nick.staff@comcast.net>
To: 'Brian E Carpenter' <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:31:13 -0700
Cc: 'David Kessens' <david.kessens@nokia.com>, 'IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dean@av8.com: Mismanagement of the DNSOP list]
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

> From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brc@zurich.ibm.com]
> Nicholas Staff wrote:
> >>----- Forwarded message from Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> -----
> >>
> >>FYI: I am being threatened for posting operationally relevant
> >>criticism of mis-operation of the F DNS Root server on the
> DNSOP list.
> >>
> >>--

Brian,

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass (though I don't doubt I've become
one), but it's not that I don't agree with what you're saying - heck not
only is it the IESG's right but I think it's their duty to defend themselves
and the IETF from such attacks.  What I can't wrap my head around is the
logic that connects it to Dean.  Here is the data that's giving me a
problem:

In the last six months approximately 65%-75% of email generated by or about
Dean to this list have been in response to messages that complained about
the relevancy of his comments.  In fact roughly 20% of all mail this list
has received either by or relating to Dean has been from this thread alone.
If you remove those messages from the count then over the last six months
Dean averages around one email every 4-6 days. (all figures are rough
"at-a-glance" calculations as opposed to pen and paper).

Without getting into the discussion of whether an email every 5 days is a
DOS I would certainly like to state for the record that without question the
pettiness has taken far more thought than the productivity, and so if Dean's
posts are a DOS then the posts trying to protect us from them have been an
atom bomb.

thanks,
nick