[Int-area] CGA Extensions BOF situation

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Fri, 15 June 2007 11:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:19:19 +0300
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: cga-ext@ietf.org
Cc: Internet Area <int-area@ietf.org>
Subject: [Int-area] CGA Extensions BOF situation

This is a heads up of what is going on with the
CGA Extensions BOF proposal.

The proposal for a WG is clear and well justified,
particularly in the areas that relate to maintenance
of existing RFCs. Chartering work for maintaining
an existing spec is an obviously useful thing.
There has been a fair number of people interested
in this, and the discussion has identified possible
new work items. Some of the work items related to
new uses (source address validation, IKEv2) have
been more controversial and need further
documentation & discussion.

The main question mark relating to this BOF has
been the state of implementation and deployment of
SEND. The IETF should spend effort only when technology
has promise of making a significant impact in real-world
networking. We have privately been told that efforts
are underway, however.

After discussions with Marcelo, IAB, IESG, and the
IP Directorate, Marcelo and I have decided to
postpone the BOF to Vancouver. By Vancouver,
we expect the following to have happened:

- Additional documents become available and
  are discussed on the list. This is particularly
  needed for the maintenance items that come
  up during recent int-area list discussion and
  in the new uses of CGAs in other contexts than
  SEND.

- More information about implementation status and
  real-world usage plans has become available.

- An interoperability event has been held. Marcelo
  is planning one for the fall.

- A charter discussion is held on the list to
  determine which of many possible items are
  actually the most interesting ones.

With these items completed, we expect the meeting
in Vancouver to conclude that a WG should be
created, and move on to progress work. We
expect people to work on the above items
starting from now.

Jari