Re: [IPFIX] Sequence Number in protocol-24 -> IPFIX AUTH48 change

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Mon, 19 March 2007 22:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:40:13 -0700
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: Brian Trammell <bht@cert.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] Sequence Number in protocol-24 -> IPFIX AUTH48 change
Cc: ipfix@ietf.org

Brian, Gerhard,

Thanks for spotting this.
Here are the changes we should be applying... to the AUTH48 IMHO.

10.3.2  Reliability
OLD:

   The Collecting Process SHOULD deduce the loss and reordering of
   IPFIX Data Records by looking at the discontinuities in the IPFIX
   Message sequence number. In the case of UDP, the IPFIX Message
   sequence number contains the total number of IPFIX Data Records
   received for the UDP association, prior to the receipt of this IPFIX
   Message, modulo 2^32.  A Collector SHOULD detect out of sequence,
   dropped, or duplicate IPFIX Messages by tracking the Sequence
   Number.

NEW:

   The Collecting Process SHOULD deduce the loss and reordering of
   IPFIX Data Records by looking at the discontinuities in the IPFIX
   Message sequence number. In the case of UDP, the IPFIX Message
   sequence number contains the total number of IPFIX Data Records
   _sent_ for the UDP _Transport Session_, prior to the receipt of this IPFIX
   Message, modulo 2^32.  A Collector SHOULD detect out of sequence,
   dropped, or duplicate IPFIX Messages by tracking the Sequence
   Number.

 10.4.2.1 IPFIX Message Encoding

OLD

   In the case of TCP, the IPFIX Message sequence number contains the
   total number of IPFIX Data Records received for the TCP connection,
   prior to the receipt of this IPFIX Message, modulo 2^32.

NEW

   In the case of TCP, the IPFIX Message sequence number contains the
   total number of IPFIX Data Records _sent from this TCP connection,
   from the current Observation Domain by the Exporting Process, _
   prior to the receipt of this IPFIX Message, modulo 2^32.

(ii) There seem to be three different writings for the Sequence Number in

    protocol-24:"IPFIX Message sequence number"
    "Sequence Number"
    "IPFIX Sequence Number"
    "sequence number"

    Maybe we should only use "Sequence Number" and "IPFIX Sequence Number"
    when a specific discrimination from other transport layer sequence
    numbers
    is required.

Agreed.

Regards, Benoit