RE: ISSUE? What does the copyright claim in I-D/RFCs mean?

"Contreras, Jorge" <Jorge.Contreras@wilmerhale.com> Sun, 05 March 2006 23:48 UTC

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:48:49 -0500
From: "Contreras, Jorge" <Jorge.Contreras@wilmerhale.com>
To: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>, ipr-wg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: ISSUE? What does the copyright claim in I-D/RFCs mean?

Simon -- the IETF copyright covers slightly more
than the boilerplate.  It also covers the RFC numbering
series, as well as the "collective" work formed by
the individual contributions by many individual
authors, each of whom retains his/her copyright in
the contribution.  This is explained in the commentary
in Scott Bradner's latest I-D revising 3978.  See
the following language from Sec. 6.1:

"     The copyright notice also alerts readers that the document is an
      IETF Document, and that the IETF Trust owns the copyright in the
      "collective work", as well as certain aspects of the document,
      such as its layout, the RFC numbering convention and the prefatory
      language of the document.  This legend is not, however, intended
      to imply that IETF or the IETF Trust owns the text of any
      Contribution included in an IETF Document.  Rather, ownership of
      such Contributions is retained by the author(s) or remains in the
      public domain, as applicable, subject only to the licenses granted
      to IETF and the IETF Trust under Section 3.3 above."

Please let us know if you don't think this is laid
out clearly enough.

Jorge