RE: [Mipshop] WG last call on draft-ietf-mipshop-mis-ps

"Alper Yegin" <alper.yegin@yegin.org> Wed, 28 March 2007 18:19 UTC

From: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>
To: 'Vijay Devarapalli' <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>, mipshop@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Mipshop] WG last call on draft-ietf-mipshop-mis-ps
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:19:04 +0300

I just read the document and here are my comments.

The title reads "Problem Statement". But the document contains not only a
problem statement, but also some of "requirements", "design considerations",
"analysis of alternative solutions", "formats", "layering", etc. I don't
think it makes sense to get into all of that. We shall be more strict about
what we have in this document. Let's agree on the desired scope and have a
complete document on that, and just be silent about anything else.

As for the relationship to IEEE 802.21... I have always been under the
impression that, we'd be defining the transport protocol for their IS, ES,
and CS. Can we confirm that's our goal and nothing about going beyond IEEE
802.21? And if that's the case, I'd naturally think that the generic problem
statement and even requirements shall be defined by IEEE, and we at IETF
simply use those in defining the transport. Or, our problem statement simply
becomes: Define the L2-agnostic transport for IEEE 802.21.

I don't understand what "Mobility Independent Services" really means.
Independent of mobility??

What does "mobility service" mean? Is "Mobile IPv4" an example of such?

I see scenarios defined in 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4. Are these definitions coming
from IEEE? If not, it is not clear from this document why we have such
scenarios? They are not simply all possible permutations, are they?

   Much of the functionality required for this problem is available from
   existing IETF protocols or combination thereof.

Probably it is true, but in the absence of an analysis in this document, it
is not really valuable to make such statements.

Regards,

Alper