RE: [NSIS] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-nsis-qspec-13.txt

"Georgios Karagiannis" <karagian@cs.utwente.nl> Sun, 24 December 2006 08:17 UTC

To: "john.loughney@nokia.com" <john.loughney@nokia.com>, "gash@att.com" <gash@att.com>, "nsis@ietf.org" <nsis@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [NSIS] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-nsis-qspec-13.txt
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:17:39 +0000
From: Georgios Karagiannis <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>
Bounce-To: "Georgios Karagiannis" <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>

Hi John

I mainly disagree with the following three points that were never
discussed before:

Point_1):Removed the QSPEC control information
Jerry mentioned in a previous e-mail that this QSPEC control information
concept is not removed but it is renamed to Traffic Handling Directives.

If that is the case then Jerry will have to use the same definitions for
the
QSEPC control information as used in Section 5.3.1 of:
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-nsis-qspec-12.txt

Thus my proposal is to change section 4.3.3 as given in v.13 of the QSEPC
template draft and include the general concept of the QSPEC control
information that was given in Section 5.3.1 of version 12 of the QSEPC
template draft. Note that the name can be changed but the semantics
should remain the same. Thus please chnage Section 4.3.3 as follows:

FROM:

4.3.3 Traffic Handling Directives

   The <Excess Treatment> parameter describes how the QNE will process
   excess traffic, that is, out-of-profile traffic.  Excess traffic MAY
   be dropped, shaped and/or remarked. The excess treatment parameter is
   initially set by the QNI and cannot be overwritten.

INTO:

4.3.3  Traffic Handling Directives

   Traffic Handling Directives are used for signaling QOSM RMF functions
   not defined in QoS NSLP.  It enables building new RMF functions
   required by a QOSM within a QoS NSLP signaling framework, such as
   specified, for example, in [RMD-QOSM] and [Y.1541-QOSM].

   <QSPEC Control Information> = <Excess Treatment>

   The <Excess Treatment> parameter describes how the QNE will process
   excess traffic, that is, out-of-profile traffic.  Excess traffic MAY
   be dropped, shaped and/or remarked. The excess treatment parameter is
   initially set by the QNI and is read-only.

the IETF meeting it was stated that both these features should be
possible, while now version 13 of the QSPEC template draft dicates that
these two feratures cannot be used togetherand at the same time by the
same QoS model.
As I mentioned in all the discussions the encapsulation of the original
QSPEC feature is needed to satisfy Requirement:
"5.4.2.  It SHOULD be Possible to Add and Remove Local Domain
Information" given in: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3726.txt
Therefore the encapsulation (of the original initiator QSEPC into a local
QSPEC) feature should be seen as an independent feature and it should be
able to be used in combination with the tunneling (parallel session)
feature that is used for another goal.

Thius my proposal is that it should be mentioned that even when the
tunneling (parallel session) feature is used, it is also allowed to use,
at the same time, the encapsulation (of the original initiator QSEPC
into a local QSPEC) feature in order to satisfy Requirement 5.4.2 of RFC
3726.
---------------------------

Point_3: QSEPC template draft dictates which QOS-NSLP signaling features
should be used by QOS models.

We have never discussed an agreed that the QSPEC template draft defines
how the QOS-NSLP functionality should be used by QoS models. This should
be defined by the QOS-NSLP draft.
Therefore, regarding this issue  the QSPEC template draft should refer to
Section "3.1.2.  QoS Models and QoS Specifications"" of:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-qos-nslp-12.txt

Therefore the QSPEC tempate draft should adpat the definitiojn of the QoS
models according to what Section 3.1.2 of the QOS-NSLP draft is saying
and refer to Section 3.1.2 of the QOS-NSLP draft.

Best Regards,
Georgios