[PCN] traffic matrix scenario

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Tue, 30 October 2007 14:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:48:07 -0000
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: pcn@ietf.org
Subject: [PCN] traffic matrix scenario

Hi

Ben & I have made some estimates, based on a future busy hour for a
national network with about 100 PCN-boundary-nodes. We assume that the
case of interest is where the traffic follows this normal pattern and
that the network is (becoming) pre-congested due to a massive surge of
traffic outside this traffic pattern.

Our estimate is that 3/4 of ingress-egress-aggregates will have traffic
of less than 1.5 Erlang. The distribution is long-tailed, for example
there are several ingress-egress-aggregates with > 4000 Erlangs.

We have made some speculations about how this translates into traffic on
particular interfaces. The topology of the network has each
PCN-boundary-node attached to 2 different PCN-interior-nodes;
PCN-interior-nodes are more interconnected (> dual-homed).

So for a particular PCN-boundary-node to PCN-interior-node interface, it
potentially has 50 ingress-egress-aggregates on it; we estimate that
actually 25 of these will not have a flow, 10 will have 1 and 15 will
have >1.

For a PCN-interior-node to PCN-interior-node interface, the topology
suggests potentially 300 ingress-egress-aggregates on it; the fractions
are the same as before, ie we estimate that actually 150 of these will
not have a flow, 60 will have 1 and 90 will have >1.

We re-iterate that these are very rough estimates. But they strongly
suggest that there are likely to be significant numbers of aggregates
with very few flows under nearly all circumstances.

Best wishes,

Phil & Ben

updates.