RE: [PWE3] BFD for MPLS PWs

"Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)" <busschbach@lucent.com> Fri, 18 August 2006 14:09 UTC

From: "Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)" <busschbach@lucent.com>
To: "'Thomas D. Nadeau'" <tnadeau@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [PWE3] BFD for MPLS PWs
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:09:11 -0400
Cc: Swallow George <swallow@cisco.com>, Pignataro Carlos <cpignata@cisco.com>, Morrow Monique <mmorrow@cisco.com>, "pwe3 WG ((((((((E-mail))))))))" <pwe3@ietf.org>, Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>, Agarwal Rahul <rahagarw@cisco.com>, "Stewart (stbryant) Bryant" <stbryant@cisco.com>

Tom,

With regards to:

> 	It does make the state machine more complex, but not
> to the point where it cannot work. This is why we have the
> AND/OR processing text that we agreed to.  I am fixing this
> now.

In my opinion, the VCCV draft should not make any statements about the processing of fault notifications. This is addressed in detail in OAM-MAP. Trying to summarize it with a few sentences about AND/OR processing does not add anything and in the worse case might cause confusion and lead to incorrect interpretations.

In fact, the current version of OAM-MAP is quite clear about the procedures. Paragraph 6.1 says that a PE enters the PW forward defect state "if one of the following occurs" and that it exits that state when the previous defect indications have been cleared.

In essence this is the AND/OR procedure that you propose. However, it is more precise since it recognizes that a PE may transition from the forward defect state to the reverse defect state. I don't think you want to get into that level of detail in the VCCV draft and therefore it is better to just refer to OAM-MAP.

Peter