RE: [Rfid] SLRRP-related questions

"P. Krishna" <pkrishna@revasystems.com> Wed, 25 May 2005 22:39 UTC

Subject: RE: [Rfid] SLRRP-related questions
From: "P. Krishna" <pkrishna@revasystems.com>
To: Suresh Bhaskaran <sbhaskaran@intelleflex.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 18:14:34 -0400
Cc: rfid@ietf.org
Sender: rfid-bounces@lists.ietf.org

> Are multiple TCP/IP connections/sessions also allowed at the Reader?  Why or
> why not?

SLRRP does not have a "session ID". By definition, a SLRRP channel is a
single session. If the Reader allows multiple SLRRP channels to exist,
then it is the responsibility of the Reader's design to handle it and is
outside the scope of SLRRP.
To be clear, SLRRP does not require multiple sessions to be opened.

> Also, if a connection is lost, is state (e.g. previous access specs)
> maintained, or lost or reinitialized?

That is beyond SLRRP too! SLRRP is an interface protocol - its
stateless. Its an end-node issue. The host and the reader are stateful
and should be keeping the state until and unless the node got
reset/rebooted or state-update from the other end-node.

> I *really* like the "lightweight" nature of SLRRP, and all the above
> introduce another level of complexity, and I was just curious as to the
> current thinking on these issues.

I am not inclined to add any complexity. If you think handling multiple
commands in flight is an issue, then lets discuss that. Here are my
thoughts ...

Some Readers internally have a serialized architecture (single
threaded), thereby allowing only a single command to be processed at a
time. This means the commands may need to buffered at the receive
interface of the Reader.

All the commands in SLRRP from the host require an response from the
reader. If the host chose to send multiple commands, then it is the
host's responsibility to keep track of the command fulfillment @ the
reader.

Allowing multiple commands in flight in an network interface protocol
does not (and should not) force multi-threaded design in a reader. On
the same token, a single-threaded reader design should not force the
interface protocol to be serialized (i.e., only one unacked command in
flight).

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
/Krishna