RE: [Sigtran] AS concepts and Relay in SUA and M3UA

"Tolga Asveren" <asveren@ulticom.com> Wed, 14 December 2005 20:48 UTC

From: Tolga Asveren <asveren@ulticom.com>
To: sigtran@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sigtran] AS concepts and Relay in SUA and M3UA
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:29:10 -0500
Sender: sigtran-bounces@ietf.org

Stanislav,

-----Original Message-----
From: Stanislav Ivanovich [mailto:stanislav_ivanovich@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:22 PM
To: Tolga Asveren

Tolga,

First, thank You very much for Your prompt answer.

I have a strong feeling that the Relay has been added "ad hock" to SUA!

The fact is that SUA made more or less copy/paste from the M3UA
specification of the critical AS/ASP/IPSP procedures which seem to be
originally designed for direct-to-direct relations, but these have not been
modified to support the relay concept in SUA (efficiently).

In traditional SS7 networks which do support relay efficiently you do not
have to specify originating and destination addresses but only the
destination address when specifying Route Sets. However this is
inefficiently if you want to base your relay (in SUA) on the AS concept as
currently defined.

For IPSP-IPSP configuration either you say:

1) It is one the same RK installed at two IPSP places (i.e. one AS) (as you
claimed when you had discussions with Ilie Glib) or
[TOLGA]Yes, just to be more clear, there are altogether 2 AS and 1 RK, one
AS on each IPSP side, but on each end 1:1 mapping between RK and AS holds.

2) or these are 2 AS'es but these have to be bound since in SE model
activation of one AS implicitly assumes activation of another AS

In both cases only messages belonging to the specified SS7 relation(s) are
allowed between the processes.

For example IPSP-1 owns 2-100 and IPSP-2 owns 2-200.

In the first case you say it is 1 AS defined as
- "DPC=2-100;OPC=2-200" at IPSP-1 place and
- "DPC=2-200;OPC=2-100" at IPSP-2 place

(in this case you have 1 AS at each IPSP place)
[TOLGA]This is SE-IPSP.

or in the second case you specify:
- "local AS1" as "DPC=2-100" and "remote AS2" as "DPC=2-200" at IPSP-1 place
and
-  "local AS1" as "DPC=2-200" and "remote AS2" as "DPC=2-100" at IPSP-2
place
[TOLGA]This is DE-IPSP.

(in this case you have 2 independent AS'es - local and remote one - at each
of the places which are bound)

However according to your answers below only messages belonging to
2-100<->2-200 relation (in both directions) are allowed.
[TOLGA]This is how IPSP is supposed to work by definition. There are two
entities which communicate with each other directly. If they are identified
by PC, it is natural that all traffic flowing between those entities will
originate and end at those PCs.

Could you, please, confirm this for SUA once again?

However this is very unfriendly for the Relay concept, since I have to (one
way or another) specify both OPC and DPC!
[TOLGA]AS I said before, IPSP is never thought to support relay concept. I
personally am not aware of any existing plans to have relaying functionality
for SUA IPSP.

Even more you claim that there is no IPSP-IPSP relay in SUA. Strictly
speaking there is no section in the SUA specification which is to define the
concept of IPSP-IPSP relay (or is there any?). However one might say that
this is lack of specification in the SUA paper.
Are you saying that the configuration I sketched below in point 5 is illegal
for SUA?
[TOLGA]As far as I know it is illegal.

Why the relay in SUA is not explained in the RFC? Are there any plans to
explain it in the "SUA Implementor's guide"? How is SUA Relay supposed to
work in the mulitple AS/RC per proecess environments?
[TOLGA]I don't know what is the current plan in terms of detailing SUA
Relaying Procedures.

Does SUA gateway includes MTP STP functionality? (In anothewr words can SUA
gateway relay SCCP messages based on SPC only rather than GT? Or send TFP
messages into SS7 network?) RTFC says just GT but my colleagues consider it
lack of specification, isn't so?
[TOLGA]You should be able to relay based on PC as well. Actually this is
mentioned in RFC 3868 "1.4.6 Relay function".

thnak you once again for your cooperation!

/stanislav

Tolga Asveren <asveren@ulticom.com> wrote:
Stanislav,

IPSP is a peer-to-peer model, there is no relaying functionality. It is used
only to enable communication between two AS in IP domain without any
intermediares.

Please see below for more answers.

Thanks,
Tolga