[Simple] mapping im: and pres: URIs

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@jabber.org> Mon, 16 April 2007 22:56 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:56:54 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@jabber.org>
To: simple@ietf.org
Jabber-ID: stpeter@jabber.org
Subject: [Simple] mapping im: and pres: URIs

In draft-saintandre-xmpp-simple-09, we define mappings of sip:, sips:,
pres:, and im: URIs to XMPP addresses and vice-versa. Unfortunately I am
confused about exactly which characters are reserved, unreserved, and
forbidden (i.e., to-be-escaped) for the relevant addressing schemes. In
this mail I ask about im: and pres: URIs (I still need to research
sip/sips URIs further before posting).

RFC 3859 defines the syntax of the pres: URI scheme as follows (the im:
URI scheme is defined equivalently in RFC 3860):

    The syntax follows the existing mailto: URI syntax specified in RFC
    2368.  The ABNF is:

    PRES-URI         = "pres:" [ to ] [ headers ]
    to             =  mailbox
    headers        =  "?" header *( "&" header )
    header         =  hname "=" hvalue
    hname          =  *uric
    hvalue         =  *uric

    Here the symbol "mailbox" represents an encoded mailbox name as
    defined in RFC 2822 [3], and the symbol "uric" denotes any character
    that is valid in a URL (defined in RFC 2396 [10]).

A few questions:

1. What does it mean to follow the syntax of the mailto scheme from RFC
2368 but specify that the "mailbox" rule follows RFC 2822 rather than
RFC 822 (to which RFC 2368 refers)?

2. What does the term "encoded mailbox name" mean? (As far as I can see,
it is not defined in RFC 2822.) Does this mean a mailbox as specified
according to RFC 2822 but encoded according to the rules in RFC 2368
(e.g., percent-encoding reserved characters such as "%", "&", "=", and
"?" from RFC 2368)?

3. Was it really intended for pres: and im: URIs to completely track the
mailbox format (from 822 or 2822), so that things like the following are
URIs of good standing?

    pres:%20Juliet%20Capulet%20<juliet@example.com>

4. In draft-saintandre-xmpp-simple-09 we make the simplifying assumption
that we are interested in mapping local-part addresses only (leaving
domain mapping out of scope), so that in the previous address would be
interested in mapping "juliet" only (since domains are what they are and
the phrase is immaterial to address mapping for routing purposes); do
folks on this list think that is reasonable?

Thanks!

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre