Re: [Sip] IETF solution for pairing cellular hosts

"Pars Mutaf" <pars.mutaf@gmail.com> Fri, 05 October 2007 12:43 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=6hZ0FkyoEvywKnP7DVkShQxgxDrt8A9dYMHLywzhlUs=; b=Mo1xfEdVhdFjqDqedUJgPNTr9DxJv6Rghqppv/xaUlidiXteidkiZNeCGGmRqHFeQPSZjS2ujNCjVU+xoZJ73YF6nOdxmleJcFMs5VCFT9Zg2niFRWc6FO4qhZ6Sna7NkgBHCmCGOAF7wUexyW29K4z9defUSmtQU7rmmXVcArM=
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:43:14 +0200
From: Pars Mutaf <pars.mutaf@gmail.com>
To: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] IETF solution for pairing cellular hosts
Cc: sip@ietf.org

On 9/28/07, Pars Mutaf <pars.mutaf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanx for the message, I hope you and (other SIP experts)
> subscribe to the ML:

> Personally, I'm not sure if we need a store/forward
> solution. We probably don't want to store a pairing
> request message while the user is off-line. Because
> the request message itself can be used for SPAM.
>
> Maybe a real-time solution is preferable. I.e., if
> the target user is off-line we don't care. The querier
> needs to try later to get the user's consent.
>
> Personally, I'm also against a SIP-based solution.
> This is my personal opinion and of course open to
> discussion.

Hello,
I'll feel more comfortable if I explain the above statement
to SIP folks. I'm not defending any particular design, I'm trying
to start some discussion and get more people to the list,
and hoping to find the right choices together.

For example there is also a serverless design possibility
(for local use only) which also deserves attention IMHO,
because of the obvious advantages of a serverless design:

-I have a new phone, I want to pair it with that of a friend.
-I type his name.
-My phone issues a local multicast DNS query to his name
over WiFi or WiMax.
-Using multicast DNS my phone scans his name.
-His phone returns an IP address (possibly a local/temporary one)
and perhaps other info helping me deal with name collisions.
-We use the proposed pairing protocol for exchanging our
SIP URIs, fixed MIPv6 home addresses, create an IPsec SA etc.

This is also another obvious design with pros and cons IMHO.

Thanks,
pars

I really hope we can talk about these issues.