Re: [tcpm] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc4138bis-00.txt

Pasi Sarolahti <pasi.sarolahti@nokia.com> Wed, 13 June 2007 16:08 UTC

From: Pasi Sarolahti <pasi.sarolahti@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc4138bis-00.txt
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:07:31 +0300
To: tcpm@ietf.org

Everyone,

In few past IETFs there there have been requests to advance F-RTO
from Experimental to Proposed Standard. F-RTO was discussed in Prague
in the tcpm meeting and also mentioned in the tsv-area presentation
on Windows Vista TCP features, where advancement of F-RTO was
supported by the presenters. Therefore, to go forward with this
process we have submitted this draft, which is based on RFC 4138 with
the following diffs:

     * Removed description of the SACK-enhanced algorithm
     * Removed SCTP considerations
     * Removed earlier Appendix sections, except Appendix C from RFC
4138, which is now Appendix A
     * Clarified text about the possible response algorithms
     * Added section that summarizes the evaluation of RFC 4138

Related to the last point, there is a companion draft titled
"Evaluation of RFC 4138" available at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/tcpm/
draft-kojo-tcpm-frto-eval-00.txt , that aims to evaluate the benefits
and possible problems with F-RTO. This draft also refers to the
papers about F-RTO if anyone is interested to have further reading.

The reason for removing SACK and SCTP sections is that although the
basic F-RTO has been implemented in a number of systems, we feel that
there are no sufficient experimental experience with these variants,
so they could be left out from the Proposed Standard document.

Please give feedback about the above-mentioned changes or anything
else related to draft. We are also looking for comments/guidance on
how to move forward with the draft.

Many thanks,
- Pasi

PS. I will be on summer holidays starting from this weekend and will
not be able myself to read mails very actively, but the co-authors
should be available to take part in any follow-up discussion on the
list.